Having a regular yoga practice for the past 5 years has changed my life dramatically. It’s given me the wisdom and clarity to make better decisions that are in line with my values, brought me a sense of calm and peace during life’s turbulent times, and helped me connect with who I am.
I thought I'd share my five favourite yoga poses for reducing stress today, so if you take a few minutes out of your busy day to try them then please let me know what you think! These poses are easy to do and do not require 5 years of having a regular yoga practice to don't worry if you're knew to it! You can do them anywhere, anytime to relax and re-charge.
1. Child's pose - A great hip opening pose to release stress that we often store in this area of the body. It also provides a calming and grounding effect on the mind as you connect your forehead (third eye) to the ground.
2. Legs up the wall - A wonderfully restorative pose that helps promote sleep and stimulates the pituitary gland. For added comfort, pop a blanket or pillow under the small of your back.
3. Butterfly pose - I like to place a bolster up the length of my spine for an added heart opening benefit. This pose is another wonderful hip opener and trains the body to open up and release stress (as we tend to hold stress when we tense up or close our bodies off)
4. Supported bridge pose - This is one of my favourites! I like to place a block or bolster at the base of my spine and let my hands rest over my head.
5. Wide legged forward fold - Great for tight hamstrings and also opening up the back of the spine. Take a bolster and lie it lengthways in front of you so you can recline over it as you slowly inch yourself forward and relax into the pose.
Love, Jess x